Current:Home > MyBurley Garcia|Kevin Porter barred from Houston Rockets after domestic violence arrest in New York -Capitatum
Burley Garcia|Kevin Porter barred from Houston Rockets after domestic violence arrest in New York
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 15:11:23
HOUSTON (AP) — The Burley GarciaHouston Rockets have told Kevin Porter Jr. that he cannot be with the team in any capacity in the wake of his domestic violence arrest last month.
Porter was arrested after an alleged attack on his former WNBA player girlfriend Kysre Gondrezick in a New York City hotel room Sept. 11. Prosecutors said that the attack left her with a fractured neck vertebra and a deep cut above her right eye.
The 23-year-old Porter has pleaded not guilty to felony assault and strangulation and is due back in court in Manhattan on Oct. 16.
“The allegations against him are deeply troubling,” general manager Rafael Stone said at Houston’s media day Monday. “Going back a few weeks, as soon as I heard the allegations, I informed his representatives that he could not be part of the Houston Rockets. They understood and he has not been with the team or around the team or had any interaction with the team since that time and will not be at media day today or in training camp.”
Stone said that aside from that, everything else related to Porter and his situation fall under the NBA’s collective bargaining agreement and will be handled by the league.
“What’s left for the team to do is to evaluate the best steps for our organization that remain in compliance with the league domestic violence policy,” Stone said.
Porter signed a four-year, $82.5 million contract with the Rockets before last season and was expected to be a big part of the team as Houston looks to return to contention after several dreadful seasons. Stone was asked if he believes Porter will ever be part of the team again.
“I can’t answer that and stay in compliance with the policy,” Stone said. “So I think this is now a league matter.”
Last year, Porter averaged 19.2 points, 5.3 rebounds and 5.7 assists per game in his third year in Houston after one season in Cleveland.
While his talent is undeniable, his NBA career has been more noteworthy for his problems off the court.
In November 2020, while playing for the Cavaliers, Porter was arrested after police said they found a loaded handgun and marijuana in his car after a single-vehicle crash. Porter claimed he didn’t know the gun was there, and his charges were eventually dismissed.
Porter, a 2019 first-round draft pick from the University of Southern California, was traded from Cleveland to Houston a few months later after he reportedly blew up at the Cavaliers’ general manager after finding out that his locker had been moved to make room for a newly acquired player.
In April 2021, the NBA fined Porter $50,000 for violating the league’s COVID-19 health and safety rules by visiting a Miami strip club. In January 2022, the Rockets suspended Porter for a game after then-coach Stephen Silas said the player had a “spirited debate” and “lost his temper” at halftime.
Stone was asked if the Rockets knew of any unpublicized problems in his past before signing him to the extension.
“There weren’t any issues like this that I’m aware of,” Stone said.
___
AP NBA: https://apnews.com/hub/nba
veryGood! (2977)
Related
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Proof Karlie Kloss Is Looking Met Gala 2024 Right in the Eye
- Zendaya exudes cottage core vampiress at Met Gala 2024 in vintage gown: See the look
- Amazon Pet Day 2024 is Here: Save Up to 77% Off on Fur Baby Essentials For 48 Hours Only
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Kendrick Lamar and Drake released several scathing diss tracks. Here's a timeline of their beef.
- One way to appreciate teachers: These schools provide their day care
- Zendaya exudes cottage core vampiress at Met Gala 2024 in vintage gown: See the look
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- NCAA women's lacrosse tournament bracket, schedule, preview: Northwestern leads way
Ranking
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Spurs’ Victor Wembanyama named NBA Rookie of the Year after a record-setting season
- Jelly Roll Reacts to Katy Perry’s Hope That He Replaces Her on American Idol
- Planters nuts recalled due to possible listeria contamination: See products affected
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Khloe Kardashian is “Not OK” After Seeing Kim Kardashian’s Tight Corset at 2024 Met Gala
- The Best Places to Buy the Cutest Mommy & Me Clothes, Plus Matching Outfits for the Whole Family
- NCAA women's lacrosse tournament bracket, schedule, preview: Northwestern leads way
Recommendation
Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
Mobile home explodes in Minnesota, killing 2 people, sheriff’s office says
Matt Damon and Luciana Barroso Turn 2024 Met Gala Into a Rare Date Night
Israel-Hamas cease-fire hope fades, Palestinians told to evacuate east Rafah ahead of expected offensive
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
Save 50% on a Year’s Worth of StriVectin Tightening Neck Cream to Ditch Wrinkles and Tech Neck
Condé Nast workers reach labor agreement with publisher, averting Met Gala strike
What to do during a tornado warning: How to stay safe at home, outside, in a car